Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Baby the Kumquat

So we've started subscribing to all of these pregnancy websites and we get a weekly update on what's going on in the life of our fetus. It's rather exciting, since I can now proudly say that our child no longer has flippers, will be tail-less rather shortly, and has developed its sex organs (you go, fetus!). However, my one complaint with these websites is that they insist on comparing your fetus to fruit.

Last week, our child was the size of a grape. This week it's a kumquat. I actually had to google kumquat to find out what it was, then had to read wikipedia to figure out how big they are. Waayyy to many steps.

I think instead these web sites should use animals. I always read Zoobooks, so I'm much more up on my animals than my plants. There weren't any Fruitbooks. If they said my baby was the size of a tadpole, or a vole, or even an skink, I would be okay with that. Now we're on my level.

The other problem with the fruit analogy is that of size. There are only so many fruits. What happens when your kid turns 2 years old? Do we get an email saying "Your child should now be the size of one of those ridiculous pumpkins"? Much easier to say, "Your child should be the size of a medium-sized labradoodle, or a miniature pony, or some such animal. Plus, the labradoodle brings to mind a furry, lovable creature. No one wants to hug a watermelon or a plum.

We'll keep you posted with updates. Next week our child should be a tangelo. I'm hoping he grows up to be a star-fruit. At least not an ugli fruit. (Really, not being a fruit at all is preferable- we are republican after all).


Jon
Kumquat:


No comments:

Post a Comment